Burning Man

Terry Jones, pastor of Dove World Outreach Center in Gainsville, Fla., is holding a book burning on 9/11. He's burning Korans. I know, hard to believe - right?

The first question I asked myself is, does he really believe that the entire Islamic faith is responsible for 9/11? If so, he is either naive or misinformed. Then I thought, does he hate them that much? If so, he's missing the point of many of Jesus' teachings - love. Finally, I thought, does he really think that burning paper with words on it matters (unless of course you are burning all of them that exist). He probably thinks it's symbolic. If so, I'd like to point out that God is much bigger than his symbolic hatred.

Ultimately, I've decided to FedEx (to make sure it gets there in time)Rev. Jones my personal Bible. I've had it since I was 6 years old. It went with me to college when I left home and has always been with me. I'm asking him to include it in his book burning. Because my God is big enough to handle it and my God's love is large enough to stand with others who claim Abraham as a religious relative.

It is a shame that this one act of Christian hatred has recieved so much press. I think it would be a wonderful statement of love if the news also had to cover shipments of Bibles coming in to Rev. Jones with personal notes saying to burn this with the Korans, because the God of Abraham is big enough.


If you would like to do the same, the mailing information is readily available at http://www.doveworld.org/contact : Dove World Outreach, 5805 NW 37th St., Gainsville, FL 32653 Attn: Rev. Terry Jones

8 comments:

Derrick S. said...

Interesting that there are no comments yet on such a controversial subject; is that because all feedback has been negative? (censored?) New to the blog here and wonder: are you a Christian, or a Universalist, or some mix? This seems like a ploy for fame, or an act showing a distain for both books. Please let me know.

Mark Sandlin said...

Certainly not a a ploy for fame. As for the lack of posts, your guess is as good as mine - no censoring going on here. Between Facebook and Twitter I've received 1 semi-negative piece of feedback and the rest have been very positive with a number of people pledging to do the same.
I am a Presbyterian minister and the view points expressed here are mine and not necessarily that of the PC(USA).
I have no disdain for either book. This is simply meant to take an original act of religious hatred and use it to give voice to the message of love.

Holly said...

Wow. I can only hope for an avalanche of similar well-loved holy books that stops this pastor in his tracks. This is a wonderful way to peacefully protest his awful plan.

Mark Sandlin said...

Thanks Holly. For me it is a non-violent resistance to hate.

Rev. Chuck Currie said...

Rev. Sandlin:

What a thoughtful, respectful and lovingly emotional response to an act of hate.

Your brother in Christ,

Rev. Chuck Currie

Mark Sandlin said...

Chuck, you are kind and I appreciate your response. I think it would be a wonderful statement of the love the Bible teaches us to share, if many more people would choose to do the same.

Unknown said...

I did it! My post about it is up at www.libsandcons.com. If God of Christianity is strong enough to bear the burning of a Bible, God must be equally as strong to bear the burning of the Quran.

Mark Sandlin said...

Well said Zachary...and love your blog post.

Designed by Posicionamiento Web | Bloggerized by GosuBlogger | Blue Business Blogger